Tuesday 21 December 2010

Fabric shop :)

People had told me about this fabric shop (details at the end) a few times and said that I would love it in there and it's only recently that I've been in - I'm very glad I did!

This is one half of the room where all fabrics are £1 a metre.

And this is the other half of the £1 a metre room. Small child borrowed for scale :)

This is the dress fabrics section

And this is another aisle! There are many more aisles and they have upholstery fabrics too. There is also a great section of laces and beautiful 'wedding dress' fabrics. In fact there is so much lovely fabric that I could stay in there for hours. I didn't this time though but still managed to get 6 metres of fabric (total cost £6!) See what I bought below.

4 metres of lovely soft jersey fabric - I'm thinking some clothes for the girls from this? The top fabric is navy blue rather than black.

Some pretty Laura Ashley boat fabric - again it was £1 a metre :)

And here is the aforementioned small child  - it seems she approves* of my fabric choices!

So where is this cave of fabric wonders? It's in Burnley, just off Colne Road in Bright Street. You will see it as soon as you turn into Bright Street as it's in an old chapel on the right. If you know the area at all it is very near to Lidl but isn't the street opposite - it's the next one up the road (past Oddies the bakers) It is called Emmanuel Fabrics and its open on Mondays and Thursdays only but it does open on Bank Holidays :) It doesn't take cards but there is a cash point on Cone Road back past Lidl outside KFC. If you like charity shops then there is one as you come out of Emmanuel and turn left onto Colne Road and it is about 4 doors up :) If you ever feel the need to visit and need personal directions then let me know as I'm always on hand when it comes to fabric shops :)

*She came round looking at fabric with me while her mum was looking at oilcloth and as I kept pulling fabrics out she kept telling me to 'put that back - you don't need it!' It was hilarious :)

23 comments:

Dolly Cool Clare said...

ooh ooh - Exciting fabric shop alert! AND charity shop to boot! Im going to go in the new Year after this snow clears :))

Swirlyarts said...

Shout when you go as you may need more detailed directions - ahem!

Kryshees said...

oooo! If only I lived closer!!! tho at that price I could afford a B&B!

Tip Top said...

So you went and how brave only to spend £6!! I think I'd spend more and I shant tell my mum as she'd be there in a flash!!

Highland Monkey's said...

Gasp look at that shop, you wouldn't get me out of it. In fact I could stay in there for a week!

GiddyStuff said...

Amazing! I love the boat fabric, shame it's a bit far away for me.
My ambition is to go to 'Mood', the shop in Project Runway, don't think it's a pound a metre there though!

Charlotte Hupfield Ceramics said...

fabric heaven!!
Have a lovely Christmas x

Anonymous said...

This sounds fabulous! You don't happen to have a phone number for them do you please? :))

Wadey said...

Immanuel Fabrics 07973 822356

Anonymous said...

Thanks you so much for posting this, tomorrow I'm going to go and see if I can find some yellow and orange fabric for a project I've just started.

Bettyblue said...

Hi is this shop still open I live in Ramy and really need a good fabric shop. This place sounds right up my street. I can drive but I am crap at directions but would be willing to go here if still open. Thanks Lesley

Swirlyarts said...

Hi bettyblue,

Yes it is still open :) The phone number higher up in the comments is still valid so you can ring to check when they are open :)

Bettyblue said...

Hi Swirly Thoughts. If I got the bus to Burnley bus station. Would it be hard to find. I hate driving to new places i know I sound a wimp. What do you think? Had a look at some of your work very very nice. Also that 70's fabric to die for. Good job my daughter hasn't seen it or it would be costing me many pounds. Thanks lesley

freedom to prosper said...

I only got involved in this as my wife visited and I picked up a card with the phone number on it but it's on the main road between Burnley and Colne, map here
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/992470
hope this helps

Swirlyarts said...

Hi Bettyblue,

It's about a mile, mile and a halfs walk from the bus station - just ask anyone to direct you to Colne Road and you can't go wrong! Once on Colne Road just look out for Lidl and then follow the more detailed directions. The X43 bus to Nelson goes along Colne Road though and if you get off just after Lidl (there's bound to be a stop nearby) then again use the directions. There may well be other buses that go along Colne Road but you would have to check at the bus station as to what they are.

Bettyblue said...

Thanks for that, I think I will go on the bus and see what happens, my daughter wants to come with me so I think we will find it. Will let you know how we get on. Thanks freedom to prosper for the little map.

Bettyblue said...

I have just been my brother gave me a lift just to shut me up. Brilliant I know where it is now and its so easy to get to from where i live. Big thanks for posting as quite a few places are gone and its hard to find fabric. Have a look on facebook at my page Vinage homespun to see what i do with it.................Thanks

freedom to prosper said...

Glad it got sorted, should it be "Vintage Homespun"

Sixties Spirit said...

You may know already, Immanuel Fabrics is open 8 days per week as from today!

freedom to prosper said...

8 days a week ! That'll be worth seeing

Anonymous said...

6 days a week, yes they have just confirmed. Ooooh so can't wait!!!

Unknown said...

Hey this sounds ace...are you open tomorrow? Tues 5th Nov and is there a postcode for the place as i am useless with directions i need a sat nav to take me anywhere? Thank you.

BeTweedy said...

Thanks so much for telling us about this shop. i'll visit next time I'm down in Burnley visiting my Mum.